www.cullmancity.org Make City of Cullman Your Homepage   |   Add City of Cullman to Favorites

 
City of  CULLMAN  Alabama                        A City of Character                             www.cullmancity.org      FacebookTwitter
 
HOME site map about us government departments services contact us employment  
 
Sites to See in Cullman

 Sites to See in the Cullman Area

 
AVE MARIA GROTTO   CLARKSON COVERED BRIDGE

Fan us on FacebookFollow us on Twitter
Known throughout the world as "Jerusalem in Miniature," Ave Maria Grotto is a beautifully landscaped, four-acre park designed to provide a natural setting for the 125 miniature reproductions of some of the most famous historic buildings and shrines of the world. The masterpieces of stone and concrete are the lifetime work of Brother Joseph Zoettl, a Benedictine monk of St. Bernard Abbey. Begun as a hobby, with various materials he could find, and infinite patience and a remarkable sense of symmetry and proportion, Brother Joseph re-created some of the greatest edifices of all time.
 
Clarkson Covered Bridge is a true icon of America's rich past. First built in 1904, the unique truss bridge stretches 270 feet over Crooked Creek in Cullman County. The unusual lattice style of planks on the structure form a webbing which, in conjunction with only vertical forces used on the abutments, allows the bridge to withstand an excessive amount of weight. A Civil War skirmish, the Battle of Hog Mountain, was fought here on April 30, 1863. The Cullman County Commission and citizens of Cullman restored the site in 1976 for the American Bicentennial and added a park with shaded picnic grounds, a Dogtrot Log Cabin, grist mill, and hiking trails.
     
CULLMAN PUBLIC CEMETERY
 
Historical information and photo provided by the Cullman County Museum.

The City of Cullman, Alabama, should feel very fortunate indeed that the city fathers in past generations have done so much to assure people of Cullman that there will always be a beautiful cemetery well maintained for the burial of their loved ones. The cemetery was established with a Perpetual Care Fund which assures the lot owners that the cemetery will always be kept properly. Paved streets with curbs and gutters are found throughout the cemetery, which assures the families that a funeral service, even on the worst day, will still be carried out without weather conditions making it more trying on the family. "10% of the annual income of the proceeds of this cemetery shall be set aside for the perpetual care of the cemetery…" (1965 Rules and Regulations, Public Cemetery)

 

C.C. Scheuing was appointed as Superintendent in 1918 and served until 1953. Mr. S.H. Green served as secretary from the 1880’s until his death in 1968. The Chapel in the center of the cemetery is known as “The Green Chapel” in his honor. John G. Cullman, who formally owned the land, donated two acres to the city for the cemetery. The first lot was sold in 1884. Each section of the cemetery is from a different era that reflects a different personality. They range from towering monuments to modest tablet style headstones. Many of the stones are engraved in German.

 


Rev. Otto Link and Minnie Hartung
(Click photo to enlarge.)
There are many interesting stories associated with the Cullmanites of days gone by buried in the cemetery. Perhaps one of the most poignant is the tragic love story between Minnie Hartung and the pastor of St. John’s Church, the Reverend Otto Link.

The 19-year-old Minnie had said yes to the young pastor’s proposal of marriage. One weekend some friends of the couple gave a party in a houseboat on the Tennessee River as part of the pre-nuptial festivities, which included swimming and a picnic. A few days after returning home Minnie became sick, as she had contracted typhoid fever on the outing. On July 20, less than 3 weeks before her twentieth birthday she died. She was to have been married on July 21.
 
The young lover wept, and his friends tried to console him, after all, he was a very young man only 24, he would find another love. On October 26, Rev. Otto Link went to visit the grave of his beloved and there he took his own life, shooting himself over the grave of his young bride-to-be. The two are now buried side by side, now with a common tombstone. The inscription says Minnie Hartung, Born Aug. 12, 1880 died July 20, 1901. …Rev. Otto Link , Born October 11, 1877, Died October 26, 1901. “Im Tode Verient”….translated from the German, “In Death United.
Cullman Public Cemetery - Incorporated 1881
The original five owners of lots at the time of incorporation were Col. John G. Cullmann (our founder), Charles Albes, Adam Dreher, George Parker and Hugo Plato.
   
MANAGER: Darrell Fuqua

PHONE: 256-734-3833
ADDRESS
812 Ninth Avenue SW
Cullman, AL  35055
   
BOARD MEMBERS
Richard Buettner, President
Roy Williams, Vice-President
Chester Freeman
Cheri Drake
Linda McPhillips
 
DECORATION DAY
The Cullman Public Cemetery's Decoration Day is the second Sunday in May.
   

Entrance to the Cullman Public Cemetery
     
CULLMAN COUNTY MUSEUM   CULLMAN HISTORIC TRAIN DEPOT
Interactive displays and modern exhibits stand ready for you to experience the rich German heritage, native American lifestyles, adventure of early pioneers and Deep South folklore when you visit with us. The Cullman County Museum opened in 1973 during Cullman's Centennial, and has been collecting and preserving items from the county's unique past ever since. Housed in a replica of Col. Johann G. Cullmann's home (our founding father), the Museum brings the past to life in its displays, paying tribute to the families that made the area their home. Each gallery showcases a different aspect of life in early Cullman.
 

The Pueblo style stucco building was restored from by the Citizens of Cullman County with the help of the AL Historical Commission and ALDOT. It has been designated a historical landmark by the National Register of Historical Places. There are vintage railroad related items on display and a restored red caboose on the east side of the depot. Depot Park, located in front of the Cullman Depot, is a passive park with sidewalks, benches, and a beautiful fountain. It is used for various events including Oktoberfest activities, arts and crafts fairs, and weddings. To book Depot Park for an event, please email Leanne West or call (256) 775-7102. 

     
WEISS COTTAGE

WeissCottage, located at 401 1st Avenue Southeast, is Cullman's oldest house. It was home to Dr. Aldo Weiss and his family and was originally located on Lot 440 on Sixth Street Southeast. It is typical of Cullman's early houses. Dr. Weiss bought the cottage from the L & N Railroad on February 24, 1875. His wife, Magdalene, and their children Emma, Charles, and Clara lived here. The house also served as Dr. Weiss' office and the cellar was used to house the family's goats -- which is why it was often called " The Goat House." Dr. Weiss was a "Practical Physician and Accoucheur," as noted on the professionals card which was clipped from a Cullman newspaper of 1877 which is now displayed along with medical instruments of the era on his desk. He owned several pieces of property including a snuff factory and a lot in the Cullman City Cemetery. On December 18, 1889, the house was sold to Judge S.L. Fuller and his wife, Evelyn, a postmistress of early Cullman when the Weiss family moved away. Weiss Cottage had various owners until 1917 when Charles Ruehl bought it. In 1976 the owner, Mrs. Inez Ruehl, needed the site for other purposes. Cullman's "oldest house" was given to the City of Cullman with the stipulation that it be moved. The move spurred a restoration and furnishing with typical 19th century items for the Bicentennial Project by the City of Cullman Federated Women's Clubs and the Historical Society. The Cullman Garden Club Federation contributed to the planting of the grounds. During the restoration process, old layers of wallpaper were carefully removed to find the earliest one, which was matched as carefully as possible. The sills of the house were railroad ties and the nails used were square ones that can be seen on display. The historic quilt was made by the various homemakers clubs of Cullman County. Weiss Cottage was added to the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage by the Alabama Historical Commission on January 25, 1977, and the National Register in April 1985. It is shown by appointment only. For an appointment to tour Weiss Cottage, or for more information, call the Cullman County Museum at (256) 739-1258.

   
FESTHALLE MARKET PLATZ
Shop for home-grown produce beneath the roof of the largest timber frame structure in Alabama!

Located at the corner of 1st Avenue & Arnold Street Northeast, the Festhalle Market Platz hosts a variety of events throughout the year including a Farmers Market and the annual Cullman Oktoberfest.

For more information visit the
Festhalle Market Platz page in our site!
     
HUBERT RICHTER MEMORIAL CHAPEL
The little chapel constructed in the early 1990's was built in memory of the late Mr. Hubert Richter.

After Hubert & Hazel Richter's son, Mike, passed away in 1971, they talked about how nice it would be to be able to go to a church that was never locked. Hubert really liked the idea and he told Hazel he would go there if there was such a place. After Hubert's death in 1988, the Cullman Friends of Frankweiler wanted to erect a statue of Hubert. That is not what Hubert would have wanted. Hazel, remembering the late night conversations with Hubert and their affection for small chapels in Gatlingburg, had a similar drawing done for the Richter Chapel. The Richter Chapel was erected on the property with donations of friends, family, and business associates. Never to be locked, so that anyone who needed to come would be able to enter at anytime!

The chapel is located at 419 1st Avenue Southeast and is open to the public every day.
The tiny chapel is the site of many weddings throughout the year. Contact Leanne West in the Mayor's Office at (256)775-7102 or send an email to lwest@cullmancity.org for more information.
     

PEINHARDT LIVING HISTORY FARM

  HISTORICAL MARKERS IN CULLMAN COUNTY

 

PEINHARDT LIVING HISTORY FARM

 

 

Highway 278, Cullman, AL
For information call (256) 734-0850 or email bjohn781@aol.com.

Peinhardt Living History Farm is an educational family farm focusing on rural life in the 1930's and 1940's.

 

The Peinhardt Living History Farm is the result of the Peinhardt family's immigration from Germany to Cullman in the late 1870's. Karl Peinhardt settled in the community of Bethsada and his son Otto Peinhardt began the farm on the present site in about 1900. Carl Peinhardt. Otto's son attended Auburn University (Alabama Polytechnical Institute) from 1930 to 1932. He then began his own diversified farming operation with row crops, hogs and dairy cattle. He was a skilled carpenter and built his own buildings as well as doings some building work for the public. He developed a registered Guernsey dairy and was a leader in soil conservation as well as the dairy industry in Alabama. At his death in 1992, Carl's four surviving children began the preservation and development of the farm as an educational living history farm.

 

Each year the Peinhardt farm is open to the public. The farm is opened for everyone to come out and experience history in a setting that will take you back in history and allow you to actually participate in some "hands-on" work. Exhibits and demonstrations are spread over 40 acres.

 
   

Ave Maria Grotto a.k.a. Little Jerusalem (added 1984)

 
Battle of Day's Gap (April 30, 1863)
 
Battle of Hog Mountain (April 30, 1863)
 
Clarkson Bridge a.k.a. Legg Bridge (added 1974)
 
Crane Hill Masonic Lodge (added 2001)
 
Cullman Downtown Commercial Historic District (added 1985)
 
Cullman Historic District a.k.a. Die Deutsche Kolonie Von Nord Alabama (added 1984)
 
Ernest Edward Greene House (added 1993)
 
Louisville & Nashville Railroad Depot (added 1976)
 
Shady Grove Methodist Church & Cemetery (added 2002)
 
Stiefelmeyer's (added 1983)
   
NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES
THE ALABAMA HISTORICAL ASSOCIATION
     

OUR LADY OF THE ANGELS MONASTERY - THE SHRINE OF THE BLESSED SACRAMENT


Like us on Facebook

Visitors to the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament are struck by its beauty and grandeur, often commenting on the atmosphere of peace that pervades the grounds and the ethos of prayer and reverence exuded by everything from the artwork to the architecture. The Shrine itself, both church and monastery, are modeled on the great Italian churches of the 13th century, the time period that experienced the birth of the Franciscan charism. The piazza through which pilgrims walk before entering the sanctuary itself is a standard of Italian sacred architecture, allowing the faithful time and space in which to recollect themselves interiorly and exteriorly in preparation for the experience of prayer and sacred liturgy. The piazza separates the sanctuary symbolically and in reality from the world around it, effectively creating an island of quiet reverence amidst the bustle of the world. At the doors of the church, pilgrims are greeted with scenes of the Seven Joys and Sorrows of the Virgin Mary, reminding all who enter that she is the vessel through which God entered incarnate into His creation. The interior of the Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament is meant to be a psalm of praise to the glory of the Presence contained within. As the pilgrim steps over the marble floors, he will see inlaid crosses made of jasper, the material which was used for ornamentation in the Temple of Jerusalem. The tabernacle, which houses the Most Blessed Sacrament, is featured prominently in the sanctuary, and is a small-scale replica of a Gothic church. Fittingly, the object which primarily catches the attention of the pilgrim is the imposing monstrance. Constructed from a century-old design and over seven feet tall, it contains the exposed Real Presence, thus affording both the pilgrims who come to the Shrine and the nuns praying on the opposite side of the reredos the chance to adore the glorified body of the Lord. From every vantage point, the pilgrim is constantly reminded of the glory of the God to whom all this physical grandeur is directed. Everything, from the floors to the vaulted ceilings, from the stained glass windows to the monstrance, and from the sanctuary doors to the bells that call all to prayer, was designed to turn the mind to prayer and adoration of the Presence contained within the Shrine. Catholicism is a faith rich in appreciation for the material world and for created things, and her churches are replete with tangible reminders of the glory of God and the awe which appropriately fills the soul called to His Presence. The Shrine of the Most Blessed Sacrament is no different. Here, the tangible meets the reality of the invisible in a celebration of God, of His Presence and of the glory of His creation.

 

For more information contact the Cullman County Historical Society or the Cullman County Museum.

WiFi Service (Project Access)
HOME site map about us government departments services contact us employment  
  PHYSICAL ADDRESS
204 2nd Avenue NE
Cullman, AL  35055
PHONE: (256) 775-7109
EMAIL:
cityhall@cullmancity.org
www.cullmancity.org
MAILING ADDRESS
P.O. Box 278
Cullman, AL  35056-0278
 
This site created & maintained by the City of Cullman. Copyright 1998-2014 City of Cullman, Alabama. All rights reserved.
Please direct inquiries to our Webmaster, Leanne West.